Welcome to the Invelos forums. Please read the forum rules before posting.

Read access to our public forums is open to everyone. To post messages, a free registration is required.

If you have an Invelos account, sign in to post.

    Invelos Forums->DVD Profiler: Contribution Discussion Page: 1  Previous   Next
Common name: Douglas L. Murray / Douglas Murray / Doug Murray / Doug Murry
Author Message
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorCorne
Registered: Nov. 1, 2000
Registered: April 5, 2007
Netherlands Posts: 1,057
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
There are two sound persons that share a same 'credited as' name. In this thread I'm trying to establish the common name for Douglas L. Murray:

1. Doug(las) (L.) Murray - The Soundtrack Group: ADR Mixer and Sound Re-Recording Mixer:
- http://www.soundtrackgroup.com/soundtrack/film&television/dougmurray.php
- http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2239955/

2. Doug(las) (S.) Murray - Skywalker Sound: Sound Editor, Sound Designer, Sound Re-Recording Mixer, Dialogue Editor:
- http://www.skysound.com/bio/douglas_murray.html
- http://www.linkedin.com/pub/douglas-murray/10/885/874
- http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0614924/

Here we go:

Doug Murray: 1 Titles (2 episodes)
Philadelphia (1993) *credited as Re-Recordist, but Sound Re-Recording Mixer credited -> invalid, confirmed by Kluge
Sex and the City: Season 1 ep. 10 & 12 *confirmed by Corne

Doug Murry: 1 Title (1 episode)
Sex and the City: Season 1 ep. 9 *confirmed by Corne

Douglas L. Murray: 1 Title - 0 Titles confirmed
Deep Rising (1998) (false, is the other Douglas Murray)
The Last Temptation of Christ (1988) *credited as Recordist, but Production Sound Mixer credited -> invalid. Confirmed by Corne
Malcolm X (1992) *credited as Re-Recordist, but Sound Re-Recording Mixer credited -> invalid, confirmed by Kluge
She-Devil (1989) *credited as Re-Recordist, but Sound Re-Recording Mixer credited -> invalid, confirmed by Corne
Shining Through (1992)
The Silence of the Lambs (1991 *credited as Re-Recordist, but Sound Re-Recording Mixer credited -> invalid, confirmed by Kluge

Douglas Murray: 1 Title - 0 Titles confirmed
The Last Temptation of Christ (1988) *credited as Recordist, but Production Sound Mixer credited -> invalid. Confirmed by Corne
Shining Through (1992)
Cor
 Last edited: by Corne
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorCorne
Registered: Nov. 1, 2000
Registered: April 5, 2007
Netherlands Posts: 1,057
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
In The Last Tempation of Christ he is is credited as Douglas L. Murray - Recordist (but there's a Production Sound Mixer credited -> invalid).

Cor
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorKluge
Registered: August 4, 2007
Reputation: Highest Rating
Italy Posts: 2,264
Posted:
PM this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
The Silence of the Lambs --> Douglas L. Murray Re-recordist (I think invalid because there is a Re-recording mixer listed before)
Malcolm X --> Douglas L. Murray Re-recordist (also here there is a Re-recording mixer listed before)
Philadelphia --> Doug Murray Re-recordist (same situation)
Updated List of Accepted Birth Years
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorCorne
Registered: Nov. 1, 2000
Registered: April 5, 2007
Netherlands Posts: 1,057
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Kluge:
Quote:
The Silence of the Lambs --> Douglas L. Murray Re-recordist (I think invalid because there is a Re-recording mixer listed before)
Malcolm X --> Douglas L. Murray Re-recordist (also here there is a Re-recording mixer listed before)
Philadelphia --> Doug Murray Re-recordist (same situation)


By the current rules those are valid entries (Sound Re-recordist is in the 'Sound Re-recording Mixer' role chart). Only a sound credit is invalid if a production sound mixer is credited.
Cor
 Last edited: by Corne
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorT!M
User since 6 Dec. 2000
Registered: March 13, 2007
Reputation: Highest Rating
Netherlands Posts: 7,679
Posted:
PM this userDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Corne:
Quote:
By the current rules those are valid entries (Sound Re-recordist is in the 'Sound Re-recording Mixer' role chart). Only a sound credit is invalid if a production sound mixer is credited.

There were people who argued the same thing before the "Sound" clarification. That misconception caused a lot of bad data to get into the database, which all had to be cleaned up again later on. Let's not make the same mistake here again: this is exactly the same principle. The re-recording mixer is who we're after, and if there's an additional re-recordist credited, then that's only a minor studio technician assisting the guy we're actually after. Again, you can argue that it's technically allowed, and keep contributing these people, but it's merely an oversight that the rules don't address this yet. At some point, what I've just explained will be confirmed, and any such credits will have to be removed again.
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorCorne
Registered: Nov. 1, 2000
Registered: April 5, 2007
Netherlands Posts: 1,057
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting T!M:
Quote:
Quoting Corne:
Quote:
By the current rules those are valid entries (Sound Re-recordist is in the 'Sound Re-recording Mixer' role chart). Only a sound credit is invalid if a production sound mixer is credited.

There were people who argued the same thing before the "Sound" clarification. That misconception caused a lot of bad data to get into the database, which all had to be cleaned up again later on. Let's not make the same mistake here again: this is exactly the same principle. The re-recording mixer is who we're after, and if there's an additional re-recordist credited, then that's only a minor studio technician assisting the guy we're actually after. Again, you can argue that it's technically allowed, and keep contributing these people, but it's merely an oversight that the rules don't address this yet. At some point, what I've just explained will be confirmed, and any such credits will have to be removed again.


Unfortunately we have to go by the current rules. Do you have some statement/announcement from Ken or Gerri that this rule will change?

FYI in three episodes of the first season of Sex of the City he's credited as Re-Recording Mixer and are definitely valid.
Cor
 Last edited: by Corne
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorCorne
Registered: Nov. 1, 2000
Registered: April 5, 2007
Netherlands Posts: 1,057
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
In She-Devil (1989) he's credited as Douglas L. Murray (also as Re-recordist)

Cor
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorKluge
Registered: August 4, 2007
Reputation: Highest Rating
Italy Posts: 2,264
Posted:
PM this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Corne:
Quote:

Unfortunately we have to go by the current rules. Do you have some statement/announcement from Ken or Gerri that this rule will change?


Is exactly the same situation of PSM vs Recordist, in this case we have a Re-recording mixer and (after) some Re-recordists (not Sound Re-recordist).

Quote:
FYI in three episodes of the first season of Sex of the City he's credited as Re-Recording Mixer and are definitely valid.


This indeed is a valid credit.
Updated List of Accepted Birth Years
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorCorne
Registered: Nov. 1, 2000
Registered: April 5, 2007
Netherlands Posts: 1,057
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Kluge:
Quote:
Quoting Corne:
Quote:

Unfortunately we have to go by the current rules. Do you have some statement/announcement from Ken or Gerri that this rule will change?


Is exactly the same situation of PSM vs Recordist, in this case we have a Re-recording mixer and (after) some Re-recordists (not Sound Re-recordist).

Quote:
FYI in three episodes of the first season of Sex of the City he's credited as Re-Recording Mixer and are definitely valid.


This indeed is a valid credit.


Sound Re-recordist or just Re-recordist is the same. You would credit a Film Editor too when he's credited as just Editor (except when it's a a story editor). T!M has definitely a point and I hope that this matter has been addressed by Ken or Gerri?
Cor
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorKluge
Registered: August 4, 2007
Reputation: Highest Rating
Italy Posts: 2,264
Posted:
PM this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Corne:
Quote:

Sound Re-recordist or just Re-recordist is the same. You would credit a Film Editor too when he's credited as just Editor (except when it's a a story editor). T!M has definitely a point and I hope that this matter has been addressed by Ken or Gerri?


I would not credit an "Editor" if listed after a "Film Editor", but only if there are no other "Editors" listed.
Updated List of Accepted Birth Years
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorCorne
Registered: Nov. 1, 2000
Registered: April 5, 2007
Netherlands Posts: 1,057
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Kluge:
Quote:
Quoting Corne:
Quote:

Sound Re-recordist or just Re-recordist is the same. You would credit a Film Editor too when he's credited as just Editor (except when it's a a story editor). T!M has definitely a point and I hope that this matter has been addressed by Ken or Gerri?


I would not credit an "Editor" if listed after a "Film Editor", but only if there are no other "Editors" listed.


Of course because that's in the rules: "Principal Editors listed when credited together".

But that besides the point. You and I may know that a re-recordist is more an assistant when Re-Recording Mixers are already credited, but for now the rules deal with re-recordists as being the same. So I don't know how to deal with this now.
Cor
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorCorne
Registered: Nov. 1, 2000
Registered: April 5, 2007
Netherlands Posts: 1,057
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
If we count the invalid Re-Recording credits his common name is Douglas L. Murray
If we don't count the Re-Recording credits his common name is Doug Murray
Cor
 Last edited: by Corne
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributorhuskersports
Registered: September 29, 2008
Reputation: Highest Rating
United States Posts: 2,083
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Shining Through: Douglas L. Murray as Rerecordist.  Tom Fleischman is already credited as Re-recording Mixer, so I don't know if it's valid or not.
My one wish for the DVD Profiler online database: Ban or remove the disc-level profiles of TV season sets. It completely screws up/inflates the CLT.
FACT: Imdb is WRONG 70% of the time! Misspelled cast, incomplete cast, wrong cast/crew roles. So for those who want DVD Profiler to be "as perfect as Imdb", good luck with that.
Stop adding UNIT crew! They're invalid credits. Stop it!
    Invelos Forums->DVD Profiler: Contribution Discussion Page: 1  Previous   Next