Welcome to the Invelos forums. Please read the forum rules before posting.

Read access to our public forums is open to everyone. To post messages, a free registration is required.

If you have an Invelos account, sign in to post.

    Invelos Forums->General: General Home Theater Discussion Page: 1 2 3 ...8  Previous   Next
New Xbox 360 Elite, no HD DVD
Author Message
DVD Profiler Unlimited Registrantmnemo
Zuma!
Registered: March 17, 2007
Germany Posts: 82
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Microsoft has officially announced the new Xbox 360 Elite in black and with HDMI output and larger hard disk, but it still has no HD DVD drive built-in. $479.99 in the USA coming April 29th.
Samsung UE55C6200, Yamaha RX-V2067, Xbox 360, PS3.
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantAscended_Saiyan
A Blu-ray crack fiend
Registered: March 13, 2007
Posts: 1,127
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
So, for those that already have an Xbox 360 but wants HDMI and a larger hard drive basically has to spend $880 within a year and a half of launch (not including Xbox Live Gold).  Isn't that 60GB more space and $280 more than the PS3 60GB that has Wi-Fi, media card reader, Blu-ray drive, and no power brick?

Or, you could get a 20GB PS3 for $500 and $105 for a notebook 160GB SATA drive from Pricewatch and throw it in the PS3.  I believe that would give you all the options of the Xbox Elite, plus an additional 40GB of space and a Blu-ray drive for $275 cheaper than the two Xbox models you would need just to get HDMI and a larger hard drive (if you bought a Xbox 360 already).

What was Microsoft thinking on this one?!
To err is human...
-----------
473 Blu-ray Titles
DVD Profiler Unlimited Registrantmnemo
Zuma!
Registered: March 17, 2007
Germany Posts: 82
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Is the 20 GB PS3 actually available anywhere? There were reports in the last few days that it was even delisted by some retailers and it's not coming to Europa, if I remember correctly.

So the Xbox Elite is not a bad deal, it even includes a HDMI cable, but I'm not upgrading my "old" Xbox 360, since it's nicer in white anyway. :-)
Samsung UE55C6200, Yamaha RX-V2067, Xbox 360, PS3.
 Last edited: by mnemo
MattyJames
Registered: March 19, 2007
Posts: 18
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Ascended_Saiyan:
Quote:
...Or, you could get a 20GB PS3 for $500 and $105 for a notebook 160GB SATA drive from Pricewatch and throw it in the PS3.  I believe that would give you all the options of the Xbox Elite, plus an additional 40GB of space and a Blu-ray drive for $275 cheaper than the two Xbox models you would need just to get HDMI and a larger hard drive (if you bought a Xbox 360 already).


I could....But I would still be stuck with the big Sony paperweight, er, PS3.
  Look, I'm no Microsoft fanboy or don't have anything against Sony. I have a PS2 and enjoyed it for years. I'm also not the type of guy who's going to sit here and crunch and twist numbers proving why the 360 is a better machine. It's all about personal preference.

When I picked what system i was going to buy first, Here are some things that I asked myself:

"Who owns the rights to the majority of the games that I want to play in the near future?"
XBOX360

"Who currently offers the most titles available to me now?"
XBOX360

"Which system has a larger online community for me to pick up and game with?"
XBOX360

"What controls do I prefer?"
XBOX360

"What system do my peers play?"
XBOX360

"Which system is the most compatible with my PC?"
XBOX360

  This whole "PS3 has a built in Blu-Ray so that makes it better" is complete garbage. First of all, The majority of people could'nt give 2 f's whether they have a Blu-Ray player or not. Out of the 2 million people(Not quite) that own a PS3, How many of them do you think owns more than 5-10 Blu-Ray discs? Maybe 8,000?

  The console wars will be going on forever. Each company will always try to justify why theirs is a better buy and you will always have fanboys on each side arguing their points. They are both powerful systems that will provide hours of enjoyment for anyone who owns one.

That being said....

I can't wait to get a Wii 
DVD Profiler Unlimited Registrantmnemo
Zuma!
Registered: March 17, 2007
Germany Posts: 82
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting MattyJames:
Quote:
I can't wait to get a Wii 

He, he. A friend of mine is a total Wii fanboy, telling me at every opportunity how great it is and what great games will be published. We played with it one evening and had much fun with the sports stuff, but at the moment, I don't see myself getting a Wii. Firstly, I want to have real "next-gen" HD graphics and secondly, I want good shooters, and the Wii is more of a party and "fun" console than gaming.

To stay with the topic of this forum, the Wii is no home theater enhancement since it can't play video. DVD playback capabilities were announced for the Japan version sometime coming this year, but a DVD player can be had cheaper. So the Wii is the "second" console when you already have a Xbox oder Playstation.

IMO, of course.
Samsung UE55C6200, Yamaha RX-V2067, Xbox 360, PS3.
MattyJames
Registered: March 19, 2007
Posts: 18
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
I hear ya...I would like a Wii primarily for something to do indoors more "family oriented". It would be as much for my wife and son as it would be for me. I'm very happy with my 360 and with killing Locust Horde(GOW), Flying around in VS(Lost Planet), Killing Zombies with anything I get my hands on(Dead Rising)ETC,ETC. Not sure how much my wife appreciates it though. 
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantRossRoy
Registered: March 13, 2007
Posts: 793
Posted:
PM this userDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting mnemo:
Quote:
the Wii is more of a party and "fun" console than gaming.


Since when was the fun-factor not important in choosing a console? 

DVD Profiler Unlimited Registrantmnemo
Zuma!
Registered: March 17, 2007
Germany Posts: 82
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting RossRoy:
Quote:
Since when was the fun-factor not important in choosing a console? 


I knew someone would pick on that. There are several "levels" of "fun".
Samsung UE55C6200, Yamaha RX-V2067, Xbox 360, PS3.
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantZoeper
Registered: 10/03/2003
Registered: March 13, 2007
Austria Posts: 457
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
I saw "most games I want to play". I think the PS3 will only have one or two games I want to play, but I want those, especially one of those desperatly.

GT5 which will be HiDef
Jean-Paul
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantAscended_Saiyan
A Blu-ray crack fiend
Registered: March 13, 2007
Posts: 1,127
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting MattyJames:
Quote:
Quoting Ascended_Saiyan:
Quote:
...Or, you could get a 20GB PS3 for $500 and $105 for a notebook 160GB SATA drive from Pricewatch and throw it in the PS3.  I believe that would give you all the options of the Xbox Elite, plus an additional 40GB of space and a Blu-ray drive for $275 cheaper than the two Xbox models you would need just to get HDMI and a larger hard drive (if you bought a Xbox 360 already).


I could....But I would still be stuck with the big Sony paperweight, er, PS3.
  Look, I'm no Microsoft fanboy or don't have anything against Sony. I have a PS2 and enjoyed it for years. I'm also not the type of guy who's going to sit here and crunch and twist numbers proving why the 360 is a better machine. It's all about personal preference.

When I picked what system i was going to buy first, Here are some things that I asked myself:

"Who owns the rights to the majority of the games that I want to play in the near future?"
XBOX360

"Who currently offers the most titles available to me now?"
XBOX360

"Which system has a larger online community for me to pick up and game with?"
XBOX360

"What controls do I prefer?"
XBOX360

"What system do my peers play?"
XBOX360

"Which system is the most compatible with my PC?"
XBOX360

  This whole "PS3 has a built in Blu-Ray so that makes it better" is complete garbage. First of all, The majority of people could'nt give 2 f's whether they have a Blu-Ray player or not. Out of the 2 million people(Not quite) that own a PS3, How many of them do you think owns more than 5-10 Blu-Ray discs? Maybe 8,000?

  The console wars will be going on forever. Each company will always try to justify why theirs is a better buy and you will always have fanboys on each side arguing their points. They are both powerful systems that will provide hours of enjoyment for anyone who owns one.

That being said....

I can't wait to get a Wii 

Crunching numbers is how you don't get snowed in by FUD.  I guess short sightedness is somewhat popular these days.  The PS line of games out number all others, so the highest number of games available are on the PS3 (old or new).  I think you need to read the article I've linked to below.

I might get a Wii.  IMO, the Wii is a fad...a nice fad, but a fad none the less.  I've been saying that for a few months, now.  But, that's looking into the future, so only time will tell.  I've made a few predictions on here.  This will be another one.  Let's see if I can still stay above 90% accurancy.

Insomniac Games: 10 Reasons Why PS3 Will Win This Console Generation
To err is human...
-----------
473 Blu-ray Titles
MattyJames
Registered: March 19, 2007
Posts: 18
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Ascended_Saiyan:
Quote:

Crunching numbers is how you don't get snowed in by FUD.  I guess short sightedness is somewhat popular these days.


That sounds like a personal attack my friend. I was simply making the point that I will play what is most enjoyable and makes the most sense for ME. Not what the number crunchers and/or mainstream tell me I should be playing. The fact of the matter is, Most people cannot afford, Nor do they care about this technology yet. I believe it has more to do with "Tax bracket" than "Short sightedness"

Quote:

The PS line of games out number all others, so the highest number of games available are on the PS3 (old or new).  I think you need to read the article I've linked to below.


Again...Twisting facts. of course both systems are backwards compatable. However, I did not purchase a 360 to play regular XBOX games just like if I purchased a PS3(Which is a good possability someday) It would'nt be to play PS2 games on. Besides, That was merely one reason behind me thinking that the Microsoft product is better for me PERSONALLY.

...I don't need to read any articles to tell me what i prefer. I never once said that XBOX360 was better. I was extremely unbiased. I apologize for anything that offended the Sony evangelist
 Last edited: by MattyJames
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantAscended_Saiyan
A Blu-ray crack fiend
Registered: March 13, 2007
Posts: 1,127
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting MattyJames:
Quote:
Quoting Ascended_Saiyan:
Quote:

Crunching numbers is how you don't get snowed in by FUD.  I guess short sightedness is somewhat popular these days.


That sounds like a personal attack my friend. I was simply making the point that I will play what is most enjoyable and makes the most sense for ME. Not what the number crunchers and/or mainstream tell me I should be playing. The fact of the matter is, Most people cannot afford, Nor do they care about this technology yet. I believe it has more to do with "Tax bracket" than "Short sightedness"

Quote:

The PS line of games out number all others, so the highest number of games available are on the PS3 (old or new).  I think you need to read the article I've linked to below.


Again...Twisting facts. of course both systems are backwards compatable. However, I did not purchase a 360 to play regular XBOX games just like if I purchased a PS3(Which is a good possability someday) It would'nt be to play PS2 games on. Besides, That was merely one reason behind me thinking that the Microsoft product is better for me PERSONALLY.

...I don't need to read any articles to tell me what i prefer. I never once said that XBOX360 was better. I was extremely unbiased. I apologize for anything that offended the Sony evangelist

That was not a personal attack.  It was a general observation, about many people, based on incorrect information.

How is that twisting facts?  It's just facts...no twisting involved.  The PS3 is backwards compatible with over 1000 games.  The Xbox 360 is backwards AND forwards compatible with around 300 games right now (that includes the Burger King games).

People generally arrive at what they prefer via information gathered.  Therefore, it is logical to end up picking something you would not have ordinarily chosen if you had the correct information at that time.  That's just life.  You can usually tell if someone is closed to something if they just won't read it.  That generally means they don't want to see something that might change their resolve.

I'm not so much a Sony evangelist as I am a truth sayer, my friend.  If the truth points me to Microsoft, then oh well.  If it's Sony, oh well.  I try to follow the facts of the long and short term and try to average them out.  I'm very math oriented.  I have never owned a Playstation 'til now.  I own 2 Xbox, Xbox 360, Dreamcast, N64, etc going back to the Atari 2600.
To err is human...
-----------
473 Blu-ray Titles
DVD Profiler Unlimited Registrantkatharsis
Registered: March 13, 2007
United States Posts: 93
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Thats the way it is nowadays, we are able to CHOOSE and do not have to go with one or the other and thats great!  None of them will ever be better just measured by whatever hardware they use.  I can go buy some maxed out Alienware computer for 4k and be able to play the games that the "next gen" consoles can and oh yeah, surf the web or use some graphics programs... What makes them better is the pure enjoyment you will have with them... either through the line of games, online community or one of so many other extras that are offered.
Ever since they first announced the PS3 I told my wife I must have one, because I highly enjoyed playing both the PS and PS2 for years.  So  I got one.. and the Blu-Ray player at first was just a really nice extra, but lately it is being used more to watch movies than playing games.  Also because at the time of release there were not a whole lot of games out there I got this awesome deal to trade in my old Xbox for the 360 (mainly for Dead Rising, Gears and Halo 3).
Once I got into watching those HD movies and had to find out that some studios do not support Blu-Ray I wanted the add on drive.  So as for now I am hooked up with cheaper options than buying stand alone players which is great!
I love both consoles equally and think both have their own strengths but also weaknesses.
My wife wants to get a WII at some point as well, which will be purely for gaming.

But to come back to the topic of this... I think its absolute bulls**t and feel ripped off!
I just purchased the 360 late Dec '06.  However I will not go and get the "Elite" version, the component cables will do just fine for another couple of years until something better comes along anyways.

BTW, the best console ever is still the Nintendo 8bit 
- Life is just a form of animated death.
Invelos Software, Inc. RepresentativeKen Cole
Invelos Software
Registered: March 10, 2007
United States Posts: 4,281
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
I got the XBOX, PS2, Dreamcast and Game Cube all at launch (although only waited in line for the Dreamcast and Game Cube).  This time, I skipped the 360 and PS3 and waited in line for a Wii (in sub freezing temps, mind you!).

It could be that I'm missing out, but I can say that the GC got 10x more playtime than any of the other systems we've had since the Sega Geneseis, and the Wii is played daily here.  It honestly feels cheezy to play with a "normal" controller now.  Maybe the fad will wear off but it doesn't seem likely at least around my house.
Invelos Software, Inc. Representative
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar ContributorTheMadMartian
Alien with an attitude
Registered: March 13, 2007
Reputation: Highest Rating
United States Posts: 13,115
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Ascended_Saiyan:
Quote:
Crunching numbers is how you don't get snowed in by FUD.  I guess short sightedness is somewhat popular these days.  The PS line of games out number all others, so the highest number of games available are on the PS3 (old or new).  I think you need to read the article I've linked to below.


You really need to go back and read what he wrote.  He made a very personal statement about which console supports the games HE and HIS friends want to play.  It doesn't matter that the PS line of games outnumber all others if HE is not interested in playing those games.

As an example...I liked Halo.  If I want to play it I need an Xbox.  I like the look of Gears of War and the Ghost Recon series.  If I want to play them I need an Xbox 360.  What does it matter to me that the PS line has more possible titles available if it doesn't have the ones I want to play?

People don't need to read any articles to know which games they like.  I did, however, read the article you provided.  It didn't tell me anything that would change my taste in games.  I still like the games I liked and still don't like the ones I didn't.

Quote:
I'm not so much a Sony evangelist as I am a truth sayer, my friend.


You are partially right...you are no evangelist, you are more of a zealot.  In your zeal to point out how much better the PS3 was than the Xbox 360 you failed to comprehend the fact that MattyJames was talking about his personal taste in games.  He is making his decision on a very basic level by asking one very simple question, "Which console supports the games my friends and I want to play?"  No amount of math or 'truth' or articles or anything else is going to change that answer.
No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever.
There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom.
Against this power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand.
The Centauri learned this lesson once.
We will teach it to them again.
Though it take a thousand years, we will be free.
- Citizen G'Kar
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar ContributorTheMadMartian
Alien with an attitude
Registered: March 13, 2007
Reputation: Highest Rating
United States Posts: 13,115
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting mnemo:
Quote:
Microsoft has officially announced the new Xbox 360 Elite in black and with HDMI output and larger hard disk, but it still has no HD DVD drive built-in. $479.99 in the USA coming April 29th.


Thanks for the info.  I have been going back and forth about buying a 360 for the last few weeks.  You made my decision easier.  I will, at the very least, wait until May.
No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever.
There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom.
Against this power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand.
The Centauri learned this lesson once.
We will teach it to them again.
Though it take a thousand years, we will be free.
- Citizen G'Kar
    Invelos Forums->General: General Home Theater Discussion Page: 1 2 3 ...8  Previous   Next