Welcome to the Invelos forums. Please read the forum rules before posting.

Read access to our public forums is open to everyone. To post messages, a free registration is required.

If you have an Invelos account, sign in to post.

    Invelos Forums->DVD Profiler: Contribution Discussion Page: 1 2 3 4  Previous   Next
Uncredited cast
Author Message
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorTigiHof
Keep your options open
Registered: March 13, 2007
Germany Posts: 465
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userDirect link to this postReply with quote
Could anyone explain to me why so many users contribute new profiles with loads of uncredited crap that was obviously taken from IMDB ? Guys, this is a once in a lifetime chance to finally get rid of this rubbish. Why do so many of you seem to be keen on wasting it ? I simply don't get it.

Don't just dump your profiles into the new database, THINK before you contribute ! 
Michael
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar Contributorhal9g
Who is John Galt?
Registered: March 13, 2007
Reputation: High Rating
United States Posts: 6,635
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Ken has clearly indicated in the past and has included in the Rules, provisions for "Uncredited" cast.

He even added a checkbox in Version 3.

That tells me very clearly that Invelos supports the contribution of "uncredited" cast!
Hal
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorTigiHof
Keep your options open
Registered: March 13, 2007
Germany Posts: 465
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting hal9g:
Quote:
That tells me very clearly that Invelos supports the contribution of "uncredited" cast!

I have no problem with uncredited cast in general, hal - I have a problem with unverified(!) credited cast.
Michael
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar Contributorhal9g
Who is John Galt?
Registered: March 13, 2007
Reputation: High Rating
United States Posts: 6,635
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting TigiHof:
Quote:
Quoting hal9g:
Quote:
That tells me very clearly that Invelos supports the contribution of "uncredited" cast!

I have no problem with uncredited cast in general, hal - I have a problem with unverified(!) credited cast.



Since no contribution notes are possible with new submissions, there is no way to indicate whether they are "verified" or not.
Hal
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorKevin
Registered March 22, 2001
Registered: March 13, 2007
Posts: 609
Posted:
PM this userDirect link to this postReply with quote
none of the contributions I made had the evil imdb junk in them, but also, they do have uncredited cast, because up until a certain time in 2006 (or 2005) we were able to have uncredited cast in there.

I know I got some heat from a few people for trying to take out uncredited people in old titles when I was updating them.
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorTigiHof
Keep your options open
Registered: March 13, 2007
Germany Posts: 465
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting hal9g:
Quote:
Since no contribution notes are possible with new submissions, there is no way to indicate whether they are "verified" or not.

Yup, but let's be serious here, hal. You are at least an experienced Profiler user as I am - just one look at a profile und you and I both immediately know where the data is from.

Technically we can't forbid uploading such crap - I just wanted to appeal to the common sense of the users around here not to do it.
Michael
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar ContributorTheMadMartian
Alien with an attitude
Registered: March 13, 2007
Reputation: Highest Rating
United States Posts: 13,184
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
This is going both ways.  I am seeing profiles uploaded that have competley removed all existing uncredited cast.  How are we to get those back in?  The answer is we can't so both sides of this issue are doing their thing. 
No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever.
There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom.
Against this power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand.
The Centauri learned this lesson once.
We will teach it to them again.
Though it take a thousand years, we will be free.
- Citizen G'Kar
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar Contributorhal9g
Who is John Galt?
Registered: March 13, 2007
Reputation: High Rating
United States Posts: 6,635
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Although it is easier to delete them than it is to add them! 
Hal
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar Contributorm.cellophane
tonight's the night...
Registered: March 13, 2007
Reputation: High Rating
United States Posts: 3,480
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Now that Ken has come up with the uncredited radio button (is that what you call it?), maybe he can come up with something where users could lock and unlock credited cast separately from uncredited. That way, if they want none, they can lock it and the data will never populate their local db. Or we could have the option to upload credited cast without have to remove uncredited first (if we don't have our documentation up to par).

Since there's so much contention over these and some people want the data and others don't, it seems to me we should look at separating the data somehow.
...James

"People fake a lot of human interactions, but I feel like I fake them all, and I fake them very well. That’s my burden, I guess." ~ Dexter Morgan
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantTouti
Registered: March 13, 2007
Canada Posts: 582
Posted:
PM this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting m.cellophane:
Quote:
Now that Ken has come up with the uncredited radio button (is that what you call it.



Actually they're "Check Boxes", you can see what "Radio Buttons" are by looking at NTSC vs PAL in a profile

As for the "Uncredited", I understand both points of view but one comment that was made bothers me.  Someone said something about "Unverified uncredited".  This was mentioned many times in the forums in the other websites and to me it always raises the same question.  How do I verify this, a profile says that John Doe plays some clerk at a gas station.

If John Doe isn't in the end credits and I happen to never have seen John Doe's face in any other movie in my entire life what am I supposed to do, remove him from the profile because I can't verify he's really there ?  Am I supposed to check IMDB, I am suppose to search all the crap that exists on the internet to see if I will find someone named John Doe that looks like the one in the movie ?  I'll bet you that 99% of the time, with a bit of patience I will find it, does this mean it's true ?

It doesn't appear to me as an easy task to verify Uncredited cast entries.  Actually in my opinion they shouldn't not even be allowed but that's another discussion.
My 4x4 Club: Club FJ Cruiser Quebec
DVDP Français: Forum DVD Profiler Français
DVDCOL:DVD Collectors Online
Video: LG RU-42PX10
Audio: Sony DreamSystem DAVFX100W
 Last edited: by Touti
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantRifter
Reg. Jan 27, 2002
Registered: March 13, 2007
United States Posts: 2,694
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Touti:
Quote:
Quoting m.cellophane:
Quote:
Now that Ken has come up with the uncredited radio button (is that what you call it.



Actually they're "Check Boxes", you can see what "Radio Buttons" are by looking at NTSC vs PAL in a profile

As for the "Uncredited", I understand both points of view but one comment that was made bothers me.  Someone said something about "Unverified uncredited".  This was mentioned many times in the forums in the other websites and to me it always raises the same question.  How do I verify this, a profile says that John Doe plays some clerk at a gas station.

If John Doe isn't in the end credits and I happen to never have seen John Doe's face in any other movie in my entire life what am I supposed to do, remove him from the profile because I can't verify he's really there ?  Am I supposed to check IMDB, I am suppose to search all the crap that exists on the internet to see if I will find someone named John Doe that looks like the one in the movie ?  I'll bet you that 99% of the time, with a bit of patience I will find it, does this mean it's true ?

It doesn't appear to me as an easy task to verify Uncredited cast entries.  Actually in my opinion they shouldn't not even be allowed but that's another discussion.


It's next to impossible to verify, even when you know what the person looks like.  Many actors have included their kids in their films (John Wayne did it all the time) and seldom gave them a cast credit, and its hard to verify them even knowing what they look like.  I am vehemently opposed to uncredited entries for much the same reasons as Touti gives.  If they ain't in the cast credits then they don't belong.  Of course, if someone wants to include that tripe in their local DB, they're welcome to it. 
John

"Extremism in the defense of Liberty is no vice!" Senator Barry Goldwater, 1964
Make America Great Again!
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorWinston Smith
Don't be discommodious
Registered: March 13, 2007
United States Posts: 21,610
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
In my mind, nothing has changed, if you can document (uncredited) by all means add them, if you can't then leave them alone and don't add something you cannot documents. Again just another case of my standards being far beyond those of mere mortals.

Skip
ASSUME NOTHING!!!!!!
CBE, MBE, MoA and proud of it.
Outta here

Billy Video
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar Contributorlyonsden5
Hello old friends!
Registered: March 13, 2007
Reputation: High Rating
Posts: 2,372
Posted:
PM this userDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Rifter:
Quote:
  Of course, if someone wants to include that tripe in their local DB, they're welcome to it. 


Actually if someone "wants to include that tripe" in the master Db they are welcome to it since it is allowed. In fact the program was modified to better handle this "tripe"
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar Contributorhal9g
Who is John Galt?
Registered: March 13, 2007
Reputation: High Rating
United States Posts: 6,635
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Rifter:
Quote:
Quoting Touti:
Quote:
Quoting m.cellophane:
Quote:
Now that Ken has come up with the uncredited radio button (is that what you call it.



Actually they're "Check Boxes", you can see what "Radio Buttons" are by looking at NTSC vs PAL in a profile

As for the "Uncredited", I understand both points of view but one comment that was made bothers me.  Someone said something about "Unverified uncredited".  This was mentioned many times in the forums in the other websites and to me it always raises the same question.  How do I verify this, a profile says that John Doe plays some clerk at a gas station.

If John Doe isn't in the end credits and I happen to never have seen John Doe's face in any other movie in my entire life what am I supposed to do, remove him from the profile because I can't verify he's really there ?  Am I supposed to check IMDB, I am suppose to search all the crap that exists on the internet to see if I will find someone named John Doe that looks like the one in the movie ?  I'll bet you that 99% of the time, with a bit of patience I will find it, does this mean it's true ?

It doesn't appear to me as an easy task to verify Uncredited cast entries.  Actually in my opinion they shouldn't not even be allowed but that's another discussion.


It's next to impossible to verify, even when you know what the person looks like.  Many actors have included their kids in their films (John Wayne did it all the time) and seldom gave them a cast credit, and its hard to verify them even knowing what they look like.  I am vehemently opposed to uncredited entries for much the same reasons as Touti gives.  If they ain't in the cast credits then they don't belong.  Of course, if someone wants to include that tripe in their local DB, they're welcome to it. 


I remind you once again, the developer of the program has included the ability to include uncredited in the main database, has provided for it in the Rules and has updated the program in 3.0 to use a check box for these entries.

It is perfectly clear that they want these entries made.

You are FREE to delete them from your local data base!!!! 
Hal
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorKevin
Registered March 22, 2001
Registered: March 13, 2007
Posts: 609
Posted:
PM this userDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Rifter:
Quote:
It's next to impossible to verify, even when you know what the person looks like.

Well, it all really depends on just how famous a person is, then it's pretty easy to recognize them. Case in point Casino Royale. As I pointed out in my contribution, Richard Branson was the guy in the Miami Airport being search by security. He was facing the camera with his hands up. And unless you've lived under a rock for the past few years, most people recognize him. So I included him as "uncredited."

(Can I hope by giving him props here he'll give me a free ticket on a Virgin Galactic ride - SpaceShip 2? )
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantRifter
Reg. Jan 27, 2002
Registered: March 13, 2007
United States Posts: 2,694
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Kevin:
Quote:
Quoting Rifter:
Quote:
It's next to impossible to verify, even when you know what the person looks like.

Well, it all really depends on just how famous a person is, then it's pretty easy to recognize them. Case in point Casino Royale. As I pointed out in my contribution, Richard Branson was the guy in the Miami Airport being search by security. He was facing the camera with his hands up. And unless you've lived under a rock for the past few years, most people recognize him. So I included him as "uncredited."

(Can I hope by giving him props here he'll give me a free ticket on a Virgin Galactic ride - SpaceShip 2? )


Who the 4@11 is Richard Branson?  Famous to you isn't necessarily famous to anybody else.
John

"Extremism in the defense of Liberty is no vice!" Senator Barry Goldwater, 1964
Make America Great Again!
    Invelos Forums->DVD Profiler: Contribution Discussion Page: 1 2 3 4  Previous   Next