Welcome to the Invelos forums. Please read the forum rules before posting.

Read access to our public forums is open to everyone. To post messages, a free registration is required.

If you have an Invelos account, sign in to post.

    Invelos Forums->DVD Profiler: Contribution Discussion Page: 1 2 3 4  Previous   Next
Common name for Actor Isaach De Bankolé / Isaach De Bankole
Author Message
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorKathy
Registered: May 29, 2007
Reputation: Highest Rating
United States Posts: 3,456
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting surfeur51:
Quote:
Vanille Fraise

Opening credits:


No end credits for main actors who are only on opening credits.
Note that Isaach De Bankolé is with visible accent here, though Sabine Azéma is not, which proves once again that credits cannot be trusted.

The credits are just as, if not more, trustworthy than any other source or personal opinion. Simply write what you see. The credits might be written exactly the way the actors wanted them to be written. Or, not. Who  knows? Writing what you see takes the guessing out of the equation.
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributorsurfeur51
Since July 3, 2003
Registered: March 29, 2007
Reputation: Great Rating
France Posts: 4,461
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Kathy:
Quote:
The credits might be written exactly the way the actors wanted them to be written. Or, not. Who  knows?

You think that because you have no idea of French spelling. é is as different from e in French then a from i in English. And I cannot imagine Bruce Willis asking to be credited as Bruce Wallas. Sabine Azéma is very well known in France, and nobody would call her Sabine Azema.
Images from movies
 Last edited: by surfeur51
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorKathy
Registered: May 29, 2007
Reputation: Highest Rating
United States Posts: 3,456
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting surfeur51:
Quote:
Quoting Kathy:
Quote:
The credits might be written exactly the way the actors wanted them to be written. Or, not. Who  knows?

You think that because you have no idea of French spelling. é is as different from e in French then a from i in English. And I cannot imagine Bruce Willis asking to be credited as Bruce Wallas. Sabine Azéma is very well known in France, and nobody would call her Sabine Azema.


I completely understand what you are saying but it is irrelevant. The accent is there for one person but not the other. You can NOT know that the lack of an accent was a mistake or deliberate - you are guessing. If is an educated guess but a guess none the less.
 Last edited: by Kathy
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributorsurfeur51
Since July 3, 2003
Registered: March 29, 2007
Reputation: Great Rating
France Posts: 4,461
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Kathy:
Quote:
You can NOT know that the lack of an accent was a mistake or deliberate - you are guessing. If is an educated guess but a guess none the less.

Please, do not try to explain things that you are not aware of. There is no lack of accent in AZEMA. The accent is there, and perfectly visible when you know French, as in EVENEMENT, the é and è are perfectly visible. Your reasoning is because you have no idea how it works in French. And I cannot imagine myself explaining you how your language works, it would be totally stupid from my part. To explain, the same sign is different depending of the context. You can make the difference between O in Organisation and in 2O14, a letter or a number. It is the same for E which can be é or è or e depending of the context.
Images from movies
 Last edited: by surfeur51
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorKathy
Registered: May 29, 2007
Reputation: Highest Rating
United States Posts: 3,456
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting surfeur51:
Quote:
Quoting Kathy:
Quote:
You can NOT know that the lack of an accent was a mistake or deliberate - you are guessing. If is an educated guess but a guess none the less.

Please, do not try to explain things that you are not aware of. There is no lack of accent in AZEMA. The accent is there, and perfectly visible when you know French, as in EVENEMENT, thmple issue co.plicas tede é and è are perfectly visible. Your reasoning is because you have no idea how it works in French. And I cannot imagine myself explaining you how your language works, it would be totally stupid from my part. To explain, the same sign is different depending of the context. You can make the difference between O in Organisation and in 2O14, a letter or a number. It is the same for E which can be é or è or e depending of the context.

My vision is perfect. I don"t  have to understand another language or get into "context" to write what I see.  The fact is, you are adding an accent that does not exist in these credits. Whether the credits read "color" or "colour", that is what write. I do not  need to know or understand the language, culture or context - nor do I want to - as far as profiler is concerned. Simple.
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorDoubleDownAgain
I see better with 'em on
Registered: March 13, 2007
Reputation: Great Rating
Canada Posts: 1,272
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Kathy:
Quote:
Quoting surfeur51:
Quote:
Quoting Kathy:
Quote:
You can NOT know that the lack of an accent was a mistake or deliberate - you are guessing. If is an educated guess but a guess none the less.

Please, do not try to explain things that you are not aware of. There is no lack of accent in AZEMA. The accent is there, and perfectly visible when you know French, as in EVENEMENT, thmple issue co.plicas tede é and è are perfectly visible. Your reasoning is because you have no idea how it works in French. And I cannot imagine myself explaining you how your language works, it would be totally stupid from my part. To explain, the same sign is different depending of the context. You can make the difference between O in Organisation and in 2O14, a letter or a number. It is the same for E which can be é or è or e depending of the context.

My vision is perfect. I don"t  have to understand another language or get into "context" to write what I see.  The fact is, you are adding an accent that does not exist in these credits. Whether the credits read "color" or "colour", that is what write. I do not  need to know or understand the language, culture or context - nor do I want to - as far as profiler is concerned. Simple.


This.  In the example above there is no accent, so it shouldn't be credited as such, unless the common name contains the accent.
HDTV: 52" Toshiba Regza 52XV545U  AVR: Onkyo TR-707
Speakers: Paradigm Monitor 7 v6, CC-190 & Atom Monitors  Subwoofer: Definitive Technology ProSub 800
BD/DVD: Oppo BDP-93 (Region Free)  HD PVR: Motorola DXC3400 500GB w/ 1TB Expander
BD/DVD/Game: 250GB PS3 Slim DVD/Game: 250GB XBox 360 Elite Special Edition (Black) Game: Wii
Remote: Logitech Harmony One w/ PS3 Adapter WHS: Acer H341 Windows Home Server
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorScooter1836
Registered: October 30, 2011
Reputation: Great Rating
United States Posts: 1,870
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting surfeur51:
Quote:
Quoting Kathy:
Quote:
You can NOT know that the lack of an accent was a mistake or deliberate - you are guessing. If is an educated guess but a guess none the less.

Please, do not try to explain things that you are not aware of. There is no lack of accent in AZEMA. The accent is there, and perfectly visible when you know French, as in EVENEMENT, the é and è are perfectly visible. Your reasoning is because you have no idea how it works in French. And I cannot imagine myself explaining you how your language works, it would be totally stupid from my part. To explain, the same sign is different depending of the context. You can make the difference between O in Organisation and in 2O14, a letter or a number. It is the same for E which can be é or è or e depending of the context.


Sufeur51,

we know your feeling s about the common name system.  That has been made perfectly clear.  The only time you chime in to the contribution forums is to whine about it.  Ok we know you don't like the system we have, we get that.  You really don't need to fill all common name threads that have names with accents with the opinion we already know.  Let people find the common name as it is defined by the Invelos rules and quit trying to get reactions out of people.  It really gets tiring watching you beat a dead horse just because you want to create drama.

Go make your arguments to Ken, because the rulings are out there and the only thing that can change them is a rule change which is done in the rules forum, not here.

We would all LOVE a better linking system, but we do not have a better one at present so we have to work with what we have until we have a better system
 Last edited: by Scooter1836
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributormitchg
Registered: September 3, 2007
Belgium Posts: 404
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
I am trying to find the common name for Actor Isaach De Bankolé / Isaach De Bankole:

CLT:
Isaach De Bankolé is credited in 43 titles (210 profiles)
Isaach De Bankole is credited in 39 titles (324 profiles)
Isaach De Bankolè is credited in 12 titles (32 profiles)

If anybody has any of the following titles or even other, could you please let me know what he is really credited as.

Isaach De Bankolé (13 confirmed, 9 unconfirmed)
* Black mic mac (1986) (confirmed by SoylentDave)
* Casa de Lava (1995) (confirmed by Rizor)
* Coffee and Cigarettes (2003) (confirmed by SoylentDave)
* Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai (1999) (confirmed by Rizor)
* I Am Slave (2010) (confirmed by SoylentDave)
* Manderlay (2005) (confirmed by SoylentDave)
* Night on Earth (1991) (confirmed by Rizor)
* Stay (2005) (confirmed by Kluge)
* The Guitar (2008) (confirmed by DoubleDownAgain)
* The Limits of Control (2009) (confirmed by Rizor and Scooter1836)
* The Unit: Season 2 (2006) (confirmed by SpaceFreakMicha)
* Vanille Fraise (1989) (confirmed by surfeur51)
* White Material (2009) (confirmed by Rizor)
* 3 A.M. (2001)
* A Soldier's Daughter Never Cries / Die Zeit der Jugend (1998)
* Cherry / Einsam in Manhattan (1999)
* From Other Worlds (2004)
* Les keufs (1987)
* Otomo (1999)
* The Black Widow (Before It Had a Name) (2005)
* The Fifth Patient (2007)
* The Killing Zone (2003)
* 24: Season 7 (2009) (Episodes: 2, 4-8)
* Battle in Seattle (2007)
* Chocolat (1988)
* Casino Royale (2006)
* Miami Vice (2006)
* The Diving Bell and the Butterfly (Le Scaphandre et le papillon) (2007)
* The Skeleton Key (2005)

Isaach De Bankole (9 confirmed, 2 unconfirmed)
* 24: Redemption (2008) (confirmed by mitchg)
* 24: Season 7 (2009) (Episodes: 2, 4-8) (confirmed by mitchg)
* Battle in Seattle (2007) (confirmed by _ppj_)
* Casino Royale (2006) (confirmed by Kluge)
* Chocolat (1988) (confirmed by Rizor)
* Miami Vice (2006) (confirmed by mitchg)
* The Diving Bell and the Butterfly (Le Scaphandre et le papillon) (2007) (confirmed by _ppj_)
* The Skeleton Key (2005) (confirmed by SoylentDave)
* The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles (1992) (confirmed by Rizor)
* Mother of George (2013)
* The Black Widow (Before It Had a Name) (2005)
* I Am Slave (2010)
* Stay (2005)

Isaach De Bankolè (1 confirmed, 0 unconfirmed)
* The Sopranos: The Complete Third Season (2001) (confirmed by Scooter1836)
* The Diving Bell and the Butterfly (Le Scaphandre et le papillon) (2007)
* The Limits of Control (2009)

The listed titles are from the CLT results. If there are titles missing, please let me know so I can add them to the proper list.
Mitch
 Last edited: by mitchg
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorRizor
Registered: March 13, 2007
Reputation: Great Rating
United States Posts: 548
Posted:
PM this userDirect link to this postReply with quote
Casa de Lava (1995) - Isaach De Bankolé
Chocolat (1988) - Isaach De Bankole ("World Films" is the DVD edition title)
My DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My Letterboxd Page
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributorsurfeur51
Since July 3, 2003
Registered: March 29, 2007
Reputation: Great Rating
France Posts: 4,461
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Scooter1836:
Quote:
The only time you chime in to the contribution forums is to whine about it.

Well it seems to me that I came here to give the requested information about "Vanille fraise". Sorry if you do not find this post useful.

My other posts here are just answers to hateful attacks from people stupid enough to ignore that other languages than English exist in the world, or arrogant enough to consider that American spelling rules must apply to all languages in the world.
Images from movies
 Last edited: by surfeur51
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorDiscostu
I'm sorry, Dave.
Registered: October 17, 2010
Germany Posts: 298
Posted:
PM this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting surfeur51:
Quote:

My other posts here are just answers to hateful attacks from people stupid enough to ignore that other languages than English exist in the world, or arrogant enough to consider that American spelling rules must apply to all languages in the world.


I had French in school, I know what you are talking about when you say that it is obvious for many names that they should be credited with an accent. But if they aren't then we have do go with that. This has nothing to do with arrogance. If there are credits with English (or German or Spanish) names spelled wrongly we also count them that way. Because we are looking for the most common, not the most correct version of the name.
Recently bought films:

The Matrix [Blu-ray] | Shirins Wedding [DVD] | The Graduate [Blu-ray] | Prometheus [Blu-ray 3D] | Hwal [DVD]
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributorsurfeur51
Since July 3, 2003
Registered: March 29, 2007
Reputation: Great Rating
France Posts: 4,461
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Discostu:
Quote:
If there are credits with English (or German or Spanish) names spelled wrongly we also count them that way.

The problem is that those names are not spelled wrongly. SABINE AZEMA is perfectly correct. But when you transform this name in Sabine Azema, ignoring the accent that exists in E, you create a wrongly  spelled non linking variant, though the credits were perfectly correct. SABINE AZEMA = Sabine Azéma and nothing else, exactly as 1+1=2, and it is not a question of opinion or guessing, even if some here are totally unable to accept that fact.
Images from movies
 Last edited: by surfeur51
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorScooter1836
Registered: October 30, 2011
Reputation: Great Rating
United States Posts: 1,870
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Discostu:
Quote:
Quoting surfeur51:
Quote:

My other posts here are just answers to hateful attacks from people stupid enough to ignore that other languages than English exist in the world, or arrogant enough to consider that American spelling rules must apply to all languages in the world.


I had French in school, I know what you are talking about when you say that it is obvious for many names that they should be credited with an accent. But if they aren't then we have do go with that. This has nothing to do with arrogance. If there are credits with English (or German or Spanish) names spelled wrongly we also count them that way. Because we are looking for the most common, not the most correct version of the name.


This is exactly it.  The common name is the most common credited name, whether the credited name is misspelled based on the region, language, origin of the person, or just flat out misspelled.  It is not about being ignorant and thinking English is the only language.

@surfeur51 - Your answer just made my point - If you think we are stupid for following the rules for the online DB in determining the common name then take it to the rules forum and see if you can get the definition of "Common Name" changed.  It does not belong in common name threads where people are trying to just do what is correct  based on the rules.  Just maybe those hateful attacks you mention come because of your approach (like this one) by implying people are stupid.
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorScooter1836
Registered: October 30, 2011
Reputation: Great Rating
United States Posts: 1,870
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting surfeur51:
Quote:
Quoting Discostu:
Quote:
If there are credits with English (or German or Spanish) names spelled wrongly we also count them that way.

The problem is that those names are not spelled wrongly. SABINE AZEMA is perfectly correct. But when you transform this name in Sabine Azema, ignoring the accent that exists in E, you create a wrongly  spelled non linking variant, though the credits were perfectly correct. SABINE AZEMA = Sabine Azéma and nothing else, exactly as 1+1=2, and it is not a question of opinion or guessing, even if some here are totally unable to accept that fact.


But again we have had posts from Ken on how to transform these and it is his database, he owns it.    Take it up with him and leave it out of the common name threads where people are following the rules trying to find a common name based on the direction of the database owner.  The horse is dead, beating it won't help or get the result  you want.  Take it up in the rules forum in a positive manner.
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributorsurfeur51
Since July 3, 2003
Registered: March 29, 2007
Reputation: Great Rating
France Posts: 4,461
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Scooter1836:
Quote:
The horse is dead, beating it won't help or get the result  you want.

Once again, the only thing I did was to provide the requested information for "Vanille fraise", then I wrote nothing...

Then came the attacks, and I had to reexplain my position for people who have not understood it.
Images from movies
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributormitchg
Registered: September 3, 2007
Belgium Posts: 404
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting surfeur51:
Quote:
Quoting Discostu:
Quote:
If there are credits with English (or German or Spanish) names spelled wrongly we also count them that way.

The problem is that those names are not spelled wrongly. SABINE AZEMA is perfectly correct. But when you transform this name in Sabine Azema, ignoring the accent that exists in E, you create a wrongly  spelled non linking variant, though the credits were perfectly correct. SABINE AZEMA = Sabine Azéma and nothing else, exactly as 1+1=2, and it is not a question of opinion or guessing, even if some here are totally unable to accept that fact.

This is the common name thread for Isaach De Bankolé/Isaach De Bankole!
Could you please discuss you're problems for SABINE AZEMA becoming Sabine Azeman instead of Sabine Azéman in the thread were it belongs!
Thank you!
Mitch
 Last edited: by mitchg
    Invelos Forums->DVD Profiler: Contribution Discussion Page: 1 2 3 4  Previous   Next