Welcome to the Invelos forums. Please read the forum rules before posting.

Read access to our public forums is open to everyone. To post messages, a free registration is required.

If you have an Invelos account, sign in to post.

    Invelos Forums->DVD Profiler: Contribution Discussion Page: 1... 12 13 14 15 16 ...329  Previous   Next
List of Accepted Birth Years with Documentation.
Author Message
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorKulju
Registered: March 14, 2007
Finland Posts: 2,337
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionEdit postDirect link to this postReply with quote
George Wallace (1952)
The Ladykillers, Batman Forever
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Wallace_(comedian)
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0908648/

George Wallace (1919)
Governor of Alabama for four terms (1963-1967, 1971-1979 and 1983-1987),
As Himself: Forrest Gump, 4 Little Girls, Peanuts to the Presidency
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Wallace
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0908650/
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributor?
?
Registered: March 14, 2007
Posts: 3,830
Posted:
PM this userVisit this user's homepageEdit postDirect link to this postReply with quote
.
Sources for one or more of the changes and/or additions were not submitted. Please include the sources for your changes in the contribution notes, especially for cast and crew additions.
 Last edited: by ?
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorT!M
User since 6 Dec. 2000
Registered: March 13, 2007
Reputation: Highest Rating
Netherlands Posts: 7,809
Posted:
PM this userEdit postDirect link to this postReply with quote
.
 Last edited: by T!M
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar ContributorTheMadMartian
Alien with an attitude
Registered: March 13, 2007
Reputation: Highest Rating
United States Posts: 13,184
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionEdit postDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting T!M:
Quote:
Quoting Giga Wizard:
Quote:
He is credited many times as Ken Campbell, both Ken Campbell are crosslinked, you can only undo this be year of birth, for as far I understand the crosslinking.

Then I'm afraid you don't understand it correctly. Theoretically, the problem can be handled in two ways:

1. Use "Ken Campbell" as common name for both of them - then indeed we need the birth years to keep them separated.

2. Use "Ken Campbell" as common name for one of them, and "Ken Hudson Campbell" as common name for the other. No birth years would then be necessary: a "Ken Hudson Campbell [Ken Campbell]" credit would not link with a "Ken Campbell" credit.

So there ARE two options. It all depends on what the "most-credited form" for Ken(neth) (Hudson) Campbell is, and I thought we were still busy trying to establish that. If he, too, is mostly credited as "Ken Campbell", then we have no choice but to use option #1. But if a few more "Ken Hudson Campbell" credits can be found, option #2 would be the way to go.


My understanding, from what I have seen Ken say, is that the preferred method is option #2.  The BY is to be used only as a last resort.  I could, of course, be remembering this wrong. 
No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever.
There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom.
Against this power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand.
The Centauri learned this lesson once.
We will teach it to them again.
Though it take a thousand years, we will be free.
- Citizen G'Kar
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar Contributorhal9g
Who is John Galt?
Registered: March 13, 2007
Reputation: High Rating
United States Posts: 6,635
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionEdit postDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Unicus69:
Quote:
Quoting T!M:
Quote:
Quoting Giga Wizard:
Quote:
He is credited many times as Ken Campbell, both Ken Campbell are crosslinked, you can only undo this be year of birth, for as far I understand the crosslinking.

Then I'm afraid you don't understand it correctly. Theoretically, the problem can be handled in two ways:

1. Use "Ken Campbell" as common name for both of them - then indeed we need the birth years to keep them separated.

2. Use "Ken Campbell" as common name for one of them, and "Ken Hudson Campbell" as common name for the other. No birth years would then be necessary: a "Ken Hudson Campbell [Ken Campbell]" credit would not link with a "Ken Campbell" credit.

So there ARE two options. It all depends on what the "most-credited form" for Ken(neth) (Hudson) Campbell is, and I thought we were still busy trying to establish that. If he, too, is mostly credited as "Ken Campbell", then we have no choice but to use option #1. But if a few more "Ken Hudson Campbell" credits can be found, option #2 would be the way to go.


My understanding, from what I have seen Ken say, is that the preferred method is option #2.  The BY is to be used only as a last resort.  I could, of course, be remembering this wrong. 


Option 2 can only be used if their "Common Names" are different according to the CLT.

If both have common names, based on "Credited As" data, of 'Ken Campbell', then you cannot "create" a "Common Name" of 'Ken(neth) (Hudson) Campbell.  You would still have to use BY's.
Hal
 Last edited: by hal9g
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorT!M
User since 6 Dec. 2000
Registered: March 13, 2007
Reputation: Highest Rating
Netherlands Posts: 7,809
Posted:
PM this userEdit postDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting hal9g:
Quote:
Quoting Unicus69:
Quote:
My understanding, from what I have seen Ken say, is that the preferred method is option #2.  The BY is to be used only as a last resort.  I could, of course, be remembering this wrong. 


Option 2 can only be used if their "Common Names" are different according to the CLT.

If both have common names, based on "Credited As" data, of 'Ken Campbell', then you cannot "create" a "Common Name" of 'Ken(neth) (Hudson) Campbell.  You would still have to use BY's.

I too remember when birth years were supposed to be a "last resort", but I believe that the "use the most-credited form" principle has trumped that. So if Ken(neth) (Hudson) Campbell turns out to be mostly credited as "Ken Campbell", that's what I believe we have to use. Please share your credits for this guy here, so we can determine what variant he's mostly credited as.
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributorscotthm
Registered: March 20, 2007
Reputation: High Rating
United States Posts: 2,623
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionEdit postDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting T!M:
Quote:
Quoting hal9g:
Quote:
Quoting Unicus69:
Quote:
My understanding, from what I have seen Ken say, is that the preferred method is option #2.  The BY is to be used only as a last resort.  I could, of course, be remembering this wrong. 


Option 2 can only be used if their "Common Names" are different according to the CLT.

If both have common names, based on "Credited As" data, of 'Ken Campbell', then you cannot "create" a "Common Name" of 'Ken(neth) (Hudson) Campbell.  You would still have to use BY's.

I too remember when birth years were supposed to be a "last resort", but I believe that the "use the most-credited form" principle has trumped that. So if Ken(neth) (Hudson) Campbell turns out to be mostly credited as "Ken Campbell", that's what I believe we have to use. Please share your credits for this guy here, so we can determine what variant he's mostly credited as.

The problem with this is that the 'common name' is not set in stone, and what's most common today may not be next month.  I've already ran into this problem, and had to adjust a couple of credits to use a new 'common name'.

I don't understand what the phobia is about using documented BYs.

I would also like to see the database establish 'common names' that don't change.

---------------
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar ContributorBad Father
Registered: July 23, 2001
Registered: March 13, 2007
Posts: 4,594
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionEdit postDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting scotthm:
Quote:
Quoting T!M:
Quote:
Quoting hal9g:
Quote:
Quoting Unicus69:
Quote:
My understanding, from what I have seen Ken say, is that the preferred method is option #2.  The BY is to be used only as a last resort.  I could, of course, be remembering this wrong. 


Option 2 can only be used if their "Common Names" are different according to the CLT.

If both have common names, based on "Credited As" data, of 'Ken Campbell', then you cannot "create" a "Common Name" of 'Ken(neth) (Hudson) Campbell.  You would still have to use BY's.

I too remember when birth years were supposed to be a "last resort", but I believe that the "use the most-credited form" principle has trumped that. So if Ken(neth) (Hudson) Campbell turns out to be mostly credited as "Ken Campbell", that's what I believe we have to use. Please share your credits for this guy here, so we can determine what variant he's mostly credited as.

The problem with this is that the 'common name' is not set in stone, and what's most common today may not be next month.  I've already ran into this problem, and had to adjust a couple of credits to use a new 'common name'.

I don't understand what the phobia is about using documented BYs.

I would also like to see the database establish 'common names' that don't change.

---------------


The problem exists that when there is only one BY available for two people with the same name, all instances of that name are attributed with the BY making segregation of the two people impossible.
My WebGenDVD online Collection
 Last edited: by Bad Father
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributorscotthm
Registered: March 20, 2007
Reputation: High Rating
United States Posts: 2,623
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionEdit postDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting 8ballMax:
Quote:
The problem exists that when there is only one BY available for two people with the same name, all instances of that name are attributed with the BY making segregation of the two people impossible.

What was the reason for generally disallowing BY?  I don't think using them for everyone would make things any more difficult than they already are.

---------------
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorKulju
Registered: March 14, 2007
Finland Posts: 2,337
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionEdit postDirect link to this postReply with quote
Another Richard Wilson:

Richard Wilson (1915)
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0934013/
http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/participant.jsp?spid=207536&apid=130541
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile Registrantkdh1949
Have Gun Will Travel
Registered: March 13, 2007
Reputation: High Rating
United States Posts: 2,394
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionEdit postDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting scotthm:
Quote:
What was the reason for generally disallowing BY?  I don't think using them for everyone would make things any more difficult than they already are.

Birth year data is generally unreliable.  The only reason for adding it into Profiler in the first place was to provide a means for differentiating between two persons with identical names. And this was done so that a user could link link all the titles which include that individual.  It was used as a last resort means of uniquely identifying a person when that person's name (common name) wasn't unique.  BY data is difficult to determine accurately, however, and if BY were allowed for everyone it would open the door to frequent ping-pong changes made by people who disagreed with the BY shown.  Not to mention the fact BY often cannot be determined.
Another Ken (not Ken Cole)
Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges.
DVD Profiler user since June 15, 2001
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributorsnarbo
Registered: March 13, 2007
United Kingdom Posts: 1,242
Posted:
PM this userEdit postDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting kdh1949:
Quote:
Quoting scotthm:
Quote:
What was the reason for generally disallowing BY?  I don't think using them for everyone would make things any more difficult than they already are.

Birth year data is generally unreliable.  The only reason for adding it into Profiler in the first place was to provide a means for differentiating between two persons with identical names. And this was done so that a user could link link all the titles which include that individual.  It was used as a last resort means of uniquely identifying a person when that person's name (common name) wasn't unique.  BY data is difficult to determine accurately, however, and if BY were allowed for everyone it would open the door to frequent ping-pong changes made by people who disagreed with the BY shown.  Not to mention the fact BY often cannot be determined.


I'll back that one Ken, Robin Williams being a case in point, websites can't decide if its 1952 or 1953.

Steve
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorArdos
Registered: July 31, 2008
Reputation: High Rating
United Kingdom Posts: 2,506
Posted:
PM this userEdit postDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting snarbo:
Quote:

I'll back that one Ken, Robin Williams being a case in point, websites can't decide if its 1952 or 1953.



I've not seen 1953 but have seen 1951 & that seems to be the one I see most often. But agree that adding a BY for everyone would be next to impossible.
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorSidrat
Registered: March 13, 2007
Reputation: Highest Rating
Australia Posts: 2,241
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionEdit postDirect link to this postReply with quote
Adding BY (1953) for American actor Dennis Miller to distinguish from the Australian actor of the same name. See these sites:
American http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0588222/,
http://www.dennismillerradio.com/ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Miller http://ftvdb.bfi.org.uk/sift/individual/663032

Australian http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0588223/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Miller_(Australian_actor)
http://ftvdb.bfi.org.uk/sift/individual/66403

The only site that lists the BY for the Australian Dennis Miller is the IMDB, which says he's born in 1937. Since I couldn't find any other confirmation for this, I left his BY blank.

Approved today 22nd Dec.
In the end; Winning is the only safety.
Kerr Avon
Blakes 7 Series 4, Ep. Blake.
 Last edited: by Sidrat
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorCubbyUps
Registered: March 14, 2007
Reputation: Highest Rating
United States Posts: 4,245
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionEdit postDirect link to this postReply with quote
Adding new BY for writer Chris Ward (Sealab 2021, The Brak Show & Space Ghost Coast to Coast) to identify him from the Supervising Sound Editor from Bridge to Terabithia.

Sources for BY:

1975

http://www.answers.com/topic/mc-chris
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1002355/
http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Mc-chris
http://www.movietome.com/people/68201/chris-ward/index.html
http://www.123exp-biographies.com/t/0003948120/


Can't find a BY for the Sound guy.

BY approved December 22,2008
 Last edited: by CubbyUps
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorBroven
I am Jack's cold sweat.
Registered: May 9, 2007
United States Posts: 254
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionEdit postDirect link to this postReply with quote
Additional info for Mike White (1961) so that IMdB isn't the only source for BY:

http://www.seventymm.com/Actor/328713/Mike_White
http://www.speedylook.com/Mike_White_(actor).html
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world because they'd never expect it." - Jack Handey
    Invelos Forums->DVD Profiler: Contribution Discussion Page: 1... 12 13 14 15 16 ...329  Previous   Next